All of these idioms involve other people... Click on the idioms to study the meaning:
Now it's your turn to practice! Read the sentences and try to guess the meaning of the underlined idioms:
1. I'm going out with Kelly now. Kelly is very special to me.
Kelly and I are leaving now. I am in a relationship with Kelly. Kelly is going to leave now.
2. Sometimes my younger brother can drive me up a wall!
I am angry. My brother is a terrible driver. My younger brother makes me angry.
3. Wife: I think my sister is upset. She's been giving me the cold shoulder for a week now. Husband: Hmmm... maybe you should apologize to her.
Her sister hurt her shoulder. Her sister is not speaking to her because she's angry. Her sister's shoulder is cold.
4. Susan: Hey! What happened? Mary: My husband caught a thief red-handed in our house last night! Susan: Wow...that's scary! Where is the thief now? Mary: We called the police and they took him to jail.
The thief was stealing when he was caught. Mary's husband killed a thief. Susan is a thief and she's in jail now.
5. When I called my sister to apologize to her, she really gave me an earful!
My sister gave me a gift. My sister filled up my ear. My sister scolded me.
6. Tony: Have you heard from Jennifer this week? Jean: No, I haven't heard anything from her for a month! I wonder if she's ok.
Jennifer hasn't written or called her friends for a long time. Jennifer can't hear. Tony and Jean can't hear Jennifer.
7. Steven: Have you heard about John and Susan? Andy: No, what happened? Steven: They had a big argument and then they broke up with each other. Andy: Hmm...do you think that John would get mad if I asked Susan out? Steven: I think he would get very angry! You know them - they'll probably get back together soon.
John and Susan are not dating each other anymore. John and Susan are broken. John and Susan are arguing with each other.
8. Supervisor: Please get in touch with Marie in the accounting department. Secretary: OK, I'll call her right now.
Please get into the accounting department. Please touch Marie. Please contact Marie.